WordPress 5.0.3 Maintenance release was dropped on January 9, and with our testing, we believe it’s good to go. So we’re gradually updating sites to this version (websites are likely still on version 4.9.9). WordPress 5.1 likely will be released in February and we’ll transition to that when appropriate.
HELPING YOUR BUSINESS
Several years Dave went through some intense program management training at the semiconductor company where he worked. The small book was written by the trainer and gives great tips on program management, which we all need to do often in our businesses. We’ll be bringing you paraphrased and expanded upon snippets from that in our reports.
Whack #1: Ask Questions
Don’t be afraid to ask questions, especially questions that you think are “dumb”. Chances are, someone else in the room has that same question, and you’ll actually be helping them! And ask them to explain it in terms a 5-year old can understand - not that you’re a 5-year old, but the very best teachers can explain complicated things so anyone can understand, so you’re really testing the teacher! (Or vendor, etc.)
Because the only person being hurt by not knowing is you.
10 Things To Do On Weekends To Make Your Monday Productive
According to a study from Stanford, productivity declines sharply after a 50-hour workweek. People who work 70 hours or more per week actually get the same amount of work done as someone who worked only for 55 hours.
That is why it is important to find balance on the weekend to feel re-energized for work on Monday morning.
- Disconnect. Have a work detox. Remove yourself electronically from work or designate specific short periods to check your work emails and calls.
- Minimize chores. Schedule chores lightly during the weekend. Any uncompleted chore should be moved to the following weekend.
- Exercise. Everyone has 48 hours every weekend to get their body moving. Exercise is a great way to reduce stress and spark new ideas.
- Pursue your passion. This is the best way to escape the stress and to find a new perspective on things.
- Family Time. This is essential to be able to recharge and relax after a hectic work week.
- Schedule “Micro-Adventures”. Try doing something new. Studies show that anticipating something good to come is a big part that makes an activity pleasurable. Going to a concert or play would surely improve your mood throughout the week.
- Wake up at the same time. Do not sleep in on the weekend. This will make you feel groggy and more tired. If you need to catch up on zzz’s, go to bed earlier.
- Designate mornings as “Me” time. Engage in something mental while your mind is at its peak.
- Prepare for the upcoming week. This makes the coming weekdays more manageable. Then simply follow the plan and focus!
Read the whole article: https://qz.com/work/1474417/how-smart-people-work-less-and-get-way-more-done/
Security Issues and Updates
Your Data Might’ve Been Stolen By These 10 Companies
There are 10 consumer companies that reported data breaches in the last year mostly caused by flawed payment systems both in physical stores and online. These breaches are really dangerous for both companies and consumers.
Here are some companies that suffered data breaches in the last year:
- Marriott Hotels
- Kay Jewelers
- Jared the Galleria of Jewelry
- Cheddar’s Scratch Kitchen
- Saks Fifth Avenue
- Lord and Taylor
- Under Armour’s MyFitnessPal
- Panera Bread
- What can you do?
As we’ve written before, do the following:
- have unique passwords for each account
- have relatively complicated passwords
- run updated software on all of your phones and computers
- backup everything you do
- have antivirus running on your computer
The Site of the Month
Check out mycbdforwellness.com
mycbdforwellness.com is an e-commerce store that sells CBD products. The co-founders, Dr. Jim Alvino and John Diatalevi, have a passion for helping people with all kinds of physical ailments and also offer distributorships with their company. They market their own products and several products from other companies that pass their strict standards.
Their needs for their site required some extensive customization. Here are just a few:
- affiliate program
- unique coupon codes such as Buy One, Get One Free (BOGO)
- a different payment gateway than is normally used
- subscription products
- various roles such as wholesaler, being able to pay by check, tax-free purchases, free shipping to some and not others, etc. And the appropriate messaging, too!
- various categories of products and tags that can be used for searching and sorting
We also use an automated program to “test” the store on a weekly basis and before/after updates.
And we created 11 (and counting) custom help videos they can access in the backend!
If you want to check it out, go to https://mycbdforwellness.com.